Saturday, August 18, 2007

American School (#2)

Dear Journal,
On Thursday I started school. My new teacher's name is Ms. Sealey and she is from Canada. This summer she went to Africa and something very coincidental is that Jacob's teacher this summer also went to Africa, and she's from Canada. Jacob's teacher's name is Ms. Dardarian. We have 18 kids in my class and there are 6 4th grade classes. This is your homework for tonight: how many kids are in the 4th grade at the Shanghai American School? (you can email me the answer later). 3 kids are from the US. Some others are from somewhere in China, Taiwan, Canada, and Korea.

My mom is very happy about this, because now she has more free time to herself, which she hasn't had in almost 2 months. While we are at school she is going to the gym, and doing errands that she couldn't do with me and Jacob when we didn't have Jack and whenever we go somewhere me and Jacob always want things that she won't get for us, and we have a big tantrum in front of a big crowd. (Even though no one knows what we are saying!) (hahaha).

Anyways, enough about my mom, let's talk about lunch!! At my school, you can either get lunch or bring home lunch. Sometimes there are things that me and Jacob will eat, but me personally, I have only gotten lunch once; Jacob has only gotten lunch 0 times. When you get into a line, it's usually very long, but we got there late, so the line wasn't so long. Me and a couple of others stood in line and got trays. I saw what was there, and if I didn't like it, I could have sushi because 4th and 5th graders have more choice. Or I could go down to my classroom and get the lunchbox, because my mom packed me a lunch just in case I didn't like what they were having. You can also order your own sandwich with a sandwich form. You can pick which kind of bread, what kind of sandwich, and what else you want on your sandwich. I got lunch on Friday, the second day of school. There was chicken nuggets, fried rice, drinks, dessert, sushi, sandwiches, hot dog (pork) , and drinkable yogurt. For drinks they had water, milk, juice, and chocolate milk. I got about 8 small chicken nuggets, fried rice, and some water. It was very good. You don't pay with real money, you have a card that your parents put money on and you scan your card on a scanner and you have just bought your first lunch. Yum Yum!!

Something very new for me and my brother is that we go on a bus to and from school. And guess who used to be our driver? My mommy (and Abby and Carla). But now we have an old Chinese guy for my driver, and I don't know about Jacob's driver. We are on separate buses, that's why I don't know about Jacob's driver. Mom, Abby and Carla were way better looking. It only takes about 2 seconds to get home on the bus, but we have to wait about 20 minutes on the bus before we leave, to make sure that everyone is on it. So we don't get home until 3:30, even though school is over at 3:00.

In my school we have a 6 day schedule, but there's only 5 days a week. Isn't that awkward? Thursday was day 1. Friday was day 2. Monday will be day 3, Tuesday will be day 4, etc... I have art on days 1 and 4, PE on days 2 and 5, and I have music on 3 and 6. Trust me, its more confusing than having to put together a product (like my dad does) in one day.

The other thing my school has that Rashi didn't have is that they have a school store. You can buy t shirts, pants, sweatshirts, lunchboxes, water bottles, and little goodies, too. The store is in the hallway going to the cafetaria.

In class, on last thursday, we started this book that was called "How to be perfect in just 3 days".It's about a boy and he was at the Library looking for a mystery book, ok, and he finds this book thats called "How to be perfect in just 3 days". He checks the book out of the library and that night he started reading it. This is your second peice of homework for tonight. Can you give me 5 (minimum) to 10 (maximum) of predictions of what he is goind to read in the book? (there acually is a anwser). (email me later, if you want).

In about a week I will start swimming lessons at my school; acually my whole class will, but on monday or tuesday the school is having try-outs for the swim team. I was thinking about it but i'm not very sure. I am a pretty good swimmer but I don't want to spend my week running around china. Sometimes I might want to relax and do homework (not) with my friends. But I do have 1 more day to think about it.

I want to tell you a funny story. So, 1 of the past couple of days I was emailing my friend Katie and I asked her about her school and how everything was doing, and she emailed me back and said, " My school only has 4th and 5th grade but it's huge!!" And I replied back and said, " Well, guess what? My school is about 4 or 5 times bigger than that! It is 3 huge buildings, 1 humongo recess area, a gym (another building), and a cafiteria (another building)." And Katie, I wasn't braging to you I just telling you about my school.

Ding! Ding!
Oh thats the bell.
I got to go.
Class is starting.
BYE!!

-Goldie Davoudgoleh

3 comments:

The Solomon Family said...

Your new school sounds AWESOME, Goldie! And lunch definitely seems like it's interesting! I will look forward to hearing more about what you are learning about...and about your swimming lessons!

Love, Mrs. Solomon

Patty said...

Hi Goldie,

Your new school sounds great. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. And I have to agree with you, keeping track of the school days does sound more complex than what your dad does!

As for the swimming, Nora's been on the swim team for 8 years or more and she still loves it. Lucy was on for about 8 years but then she switch to running, which she likes better. But she liked swim team, too. Maggie liked it also, but dancing was her passion so she switched after about a year.

Now, about the homework - no more assignments! I graduated already! Of course, if you want to pay me...

Love to everybody -
Patty

Unknown said...

Goldie
I appreciate your saying that I am better looking than your old Chinese driver and am taking it as a compliment. Elijah and I are enjoying your blog. Many days he will turn to Odessa and say 'do you know it is night in China right now?'

We are missing all of you - but it's fun to read about your adventures. Our biggest adventure last week was that we were on the Cape and Odessa made me go on this bumper boat ride with her where you squirt everyone with water. She had a bathing suit on but I got soaked!

Only one more week until school starts here and then I too, like your mom, will be happy to be back at the gym and running errands without kids with me!

Love,
Abby